Two and half years after releasing the 3 x Platinum (Australia) “I Am.. Sasha Fierce”, Beyonce has released her fourth and suitably titled solo album: ‘4’.
Beyonce steps away from the dance and electric sounds that are currently taking over commercial radio to deliver a more mature and sensual album, which I feel is geared towards longevity over popular trends.
Being a lover of r&b and her flawless vocals, I was more than impressed with the tracks and the order in which they were presented. This is an album I could listen to from start to end, and appreciate all the tracks. I always prefer hearing Beyonce sing a ballad over an up-tempo song and in picking my favourite tracks, there’s no doubt that the thoughtful lyrics and melodies of her slow jams had me hooked.
Here are my picks and the must-hear tracks of “4”:
- I Miss You – This song literally gave me chills. There is something haunting about the way it’s delivered, I can’t put my finger on it, maybe it’s the clarity of her voice paired with a simple instrumental.. whatever it is, this track leaves me breathless.
- Best Thing I Never Had – Aside from Beyonce’s commanding vocals in this song, a collaboration with Babyface (a legend in anyone’s eyes) is sure to be lyrically and melodically flawless. This is exactly that. Anyone reading this, who isn’t familiar with this track, is sure to be appreciating it soon enough, as it has now been released.
- Countdown – I love the chorus in this song. There were parts which took me a few listens to warm to, but when I realized that Boyz II Men are sampled in the actual “countdown” of the track, I was completely sold. In a post-release interview, Beyonce explained that Boyz II Men were the first major artists to put Destiny’s Child as an opening act on their tour fifteen years ago, and this is one way of showing her gratitude for their support.
- Love On Top – This is such a fun song which grabs your attention from the moment it starts. Summery and so appealing, it will leave you feeling good and singing along by the end. The key change, may make it hard for all to sing along, but you can’t help but try with this addictive song!
- Dance For You - My absolute favourite song of the album is this bonus track. I love everything about it! The lyrics and her vocals are nothing less than perfect.
Other tracks worth noting : 1+1, Party (ft. Kanye West & Andre 3000) and Start Over.
This is an album that you can appreciate from start to finish and just leave on repeat! 4 is my favourite album of Beyonce’s and I definitely think everyone needs a copy!
(0) Comments •